Saturday 3 November 2012

In need of a Burkini...

We have a hungover goodbye breakfast with Geoff & Ricky at the hotel this morning. Ricky, our guide, has been a huge part of making my India experience utterly incredible. I've felt totally safe in his care and I'm very sad, plus a tad nervous, to say goodbye to him and fly solo. That being said he's prepared us well in terms of how to gets things done in India. Geoff is continuing his travels to China today so it's just Michael, Laura, Erin and I left. We are slowly but surely becoming disbanded brothers.

I head to Baga beach solo and set myself down on the sand. The beach is an eclectic mix of nationalities, cows, bathing costumes, string bikinis and touts selling their various wares. I am approached by a few men asking where I am from and if I am enjoying India. Some ask for photos with them (to which I quickly say no!) - some blatantly snap away from a safe distance on their mobile phones performing the infamous Indian head wobble as they do so (apparently this means something is agreeable). I've never felt so appreciated but at the same time I am feeling super self conscious. Perhaps I should have ignored the guidebook and opted for a Nigella style Burkini given they seem to appreciate my well cultivated (mostly curry & naan), bikini clad curves here a little too much. Add to this the constant "Hello Madam. Pineapple Juice?", "Hello Darling - Anklet?, "Hello hello - henna tattoo / water / bookmark / bag / manicure / pedicure" and my relaxing afternoon on the beach turns into a new & unfound lesson in how to totally ignore people.

Later that evening Erin and I head out to the advertised night market but are told that the license is not yet through. Instead we fight our way through the "non high season" crowds of locals, Russians and Brits in Calangute and Baga. The streets of North Goa are narrow, mopeds and taxis brush past you, the horns are back, shop owners hound you to come into their shop, English breakfasts are on sale and I feel a bit like we're in India's Benidorm. It's not my cup of tea (a British expression taught to the rest of the group).

We make the most of things - grab some beer & dinner, check out some great little shops and hunt for a bloody black and silver (or grey) throw for my Mum. (She has managed to pick the only unpopular colour combo in India it would seem).

Can the South redeem Goa and show us why thousands of tourists visit here for a relaxing beach holiday every year?!

Tomorrow will tell...



No comments:

Post a Comment