Thursday 1 November 2012

Ladies who Lunch (breakfast)...

Rekha and her husband collect me from my hotel just before 9am in their chauffeur driven car - it's a taste of luxury in comparison to what I've been experiencing over the last few days. Rekha is originally from India and her husband is German - they have recently relocated back here after a long stint in Europe. Rekha and I know each other from working at MasterCard together and it's lovely to see her and tell her all about my travels in Incredible India so far.

I'm beyond excited when we go to Starbucks (the first to open here) and I have Chai tea and pastries for breakfast. We're quickly joined by Rekha's friend and after some coffee she's very kindly commanded her driver to give me a mini tour of Mumbai where I get to see The Gateway to India, Chowpatty Beach, Marine Drive and The Taj hotel which was also at the centre of the terror attacks.

Dropping me outside my hotel, I say my farewells and meet the group to head to the airport. I'm not sure how I feel about Mumbai - to me it feels like a city trying to claw it's way to being a modern first world destination but it's busting under the pressure. The stark contrast between the super wealthy and poor is most evident here with whole skyscrapers being constructed as one person's house overlooking slums.

Michael is now super sick and has apparently spent most of the night being ill. A doctor has had to be called for an injection to be administered. Seems we're slowly dropping like flies! I'm feeling better and a day off the medicine seems to have helped.

We eventually get to the airport to catch the Indigo air flight and after some bumpy turbulence touch down in the wet, humid and peaceful green terrain of Goa.

It's straight to the town after dinner and before I know it I'm in a club sipping Sex on the Beach cocktails and drinking Kingfisher beer at 2 for 70 Rupees. It's not long before we hit the dance floor and I meet some guys from Manchester who are trying to shake away their Russian conquests from the night before.

Yes - it's official. We have arrived in the party capital of India and I'm on the last official few days of the tour before I head down to Kochin and Kerala.

No comments:

Post a Comment